Membership Qualifying Program: Credentialed Mental Health Counselor (ONLINE)
This 1-year course aims to qualify any candidate who has passed all the program’s requirements of International Association of Counselors & Therapists (IACT) and be admitted as a licensed & practising counselor at credentialed membership level. The program is appropriate for interested candidates who wish to practise as a counselor by developing counseling skills and knowledge for application in their work areas such as in health, social services, educational, customer service, human resource and supervisory work settings. The candidate will learn about the strategies to maintain or sustain one’s mental health wellness (MHW) in good balance. In addition, MHW depends on factors, like self- acceptance, autonomy, quality of relationships, capacity for personal growth, and overall life satisfaction. Among other problems, stress, depression and anxiety (SAD) can also affect one’s immune system. The candidate will learn how to administer the Big Five Inventory (BFI) and how to interpret the scores. The candidate will journey through the process of counselling which begins with exploring the challenges a client faces before assisting them in resolving developmental and situational difficulties. When successful, treatment can change how a client thinks, feels, and behaves regarding an upsetting experience or situation.
IACT is a prestigious professional body based in the USA that admit members who have fulfilled the rigorous requirements of the professional qualification programs to obtain practising memberships as counselors and therapists. The membership with IACT is a mark of high standard and excellence. Practising members are not only knowledgeable and bound by ethical standards, but are also highly respected as well. They are eligible to work in many countries such as North American, Asian and European countries etc.
The three level of IACT’s membership are Credentialed, Registered and Board Certified. A Board Certified member holds the highest status of the membership.
As a requirement of IACT, all coursework, assignments and essays of a candidate must be supervised and verified by a Board Certified member of IACT. All works of the candidate are required to be submitted by the supervisor to the IACT’s Assessment Board based in the USA for final assessment. A candidate must complete all 5 modules and fulfill the program’s requirements before being awarded practising membership. Only upon completion of the Credentialed level modules, will the candidate be allowed to proceed to the Registered level modules.
Merlion Academy is authorised to supervise and verify candidates’ work seeking to gain admission as an IACT member. Student member will also be supported by the Singapore and Malaysia IACT-chapters.
The modules are:
- Module 1: Human Lifespan Development
- Module 2: Mental Health & Wellness
- Module 3: Stress, Anxiety & Depression
- Module 4: Theories of Counseling & Its Process
- Module 5: Counseling Case Studies
* Module exemptions will be granted based on individual’s merits and to the graduate of relevant diploma accredited by International Association of Therapists.
1. Assessment is based on coursework, assignments and essays.
2. Guided learning hours to fulfill: 180 hours in total.
3. Non-guided learning hours (reading time and journal papers writing for publishing): 150 hours (expected)
4. Supervised practicum: 100 hours with 10 hours clinical supervision
21 years and above
Diploma graduate in related field of counseling, special education, psychoeducational therapy, speech & language therapy, occupational therapy, arts therapy, adolescent assessment or psychology
1. Pearson Test of English (PTE) 53; or
2. IELTS 6.0 (reading and writing must be at 6.0); or
3. A pass in English Language paper at GCE Ordinary Level
4. TOEFL 65
5. Equivalent (Pearson Versant English Test). Students can attend Pearson Online English (POE) to brush up on English.
(Non-refundable one-time application fee of SGD 95.00 is payable upon application)
SGD 1,500.00 per module
SGD 50.00 per module
SGD 1,550.00 per module
Stripe / Credit card / Alipay
Refund Terms for Course Fee only
90% – more than 28 days before course commencement
50% – less than 28 days before course commencement
10% – less than 3 days before course commencement
0% – more than 3 days after the course commencement