Membership Qualifying Program: Credentialed Dialogic-Diagnostic Arts Therapist (ONLINE)
This 1-year course aims to qualify any candidate who has passed all the program’s requirements of International Association of Counselors & Therapists (IACT) and be admitted as a licensed & practising arts therapist at credentialed membership level. A drawing or a painting is a projection of the drawer’s mental states. It is also a mode of communication. Candidates are expected to understand the different types of arts such a draw-a-house, draw-a-tree, draw-a-person, draw-a-family etc being used as a dialogic-diagnostic tools. Candidates are expected to interpret the meaning of the symbols, realia, artefacts, genogram, sociogram and ideogram used in the drawings and paintings to gain insight of the hidden psyche and nine different mental states of the drawer. Candidates are expected to use the drawings to understand socio-emotional development phases and family dynamics & hidden issues of the drawer. Candidates are expected to prepare individualised intervention and counselling plans after the the diagnosis of social-emotional behavioral challenges the drawer could have.
IACT is a prestigious professional body based in the USA that admit members who have fulfilled the rigorous requirements of the professional qualification programs to obtain practising memberships as counselors and therapists. The membership with IACT is a mark of high standard and excellence. Practising members are not only knowledgeable and bound by ethical standards, but are also highly respected as well. They are eligible to work in many countries such as North American, Asian and European countries etc.
The three level of IACT’s membership are Credentialed, Registered and Board Certified. A Board Certified member holds the highest status of the membership.
As a requirement of IACT, all coursework, assignments and essays of a candidate must be supervised and verified by an approved instructor of IACT. All works of the candidate are required to be submitted by the instructor to the IACT’s Assessment Board based in the USA for final assessment. A candidate must complete all 5 modules and fulfill the program’s requirements before being awarded practising membership. Only upon completion of the Credentialed level modules, will the candidate be allowed to proceed to the Registered level modules.
Merlion Academy is authorised to supervise and verify candidates’ work seeking to gain admission as an IACT member. Student member will also be supported by the Singapore and Malaysia IACT-chapters.
The modules are:
- Module 1: Arts (Drawing/Painting) as the Creative Mode of Communication
- Module 2: Types of Arts as Dialogic-Diagnostic Tools (I)
- Module 3: Types of Arts as Dialogic-Diagnostic Tools (II)
- Module 4: Arts (Drawing/Painting)for Socio-Emotional Behavioral Challenges
- Module 5: Intervention (focus more on socio-emotional behavioral issues)
Case Study Presentation Symposium
Trainee will be provided a detailed case study to prepare for his/her oral defense basing on all the five series he/she has acquired from the program. An external examiner will be present to grade the presentation.
* Module exemptions will be granted based on individual’s merits and to the graduate of relevant diploma accredited by International Association of Therapists.
1. Assessment is based on coursework, assignments and essays.
2. Guided learning hours to fulfil: 30 hours per module (150 hours in total).
3. Non-guided learning hours (reading time and journal papers writing for publishing): 30 hours per module (150 hours in total).
21 years and above
Diploma graduate in special education, psychoeducational therapy, speech & language therapy, occupational therapy, diagnostic projective & drawing therapy or psychology
1. Pearson Test of English (PTE) 53; or
2. IELTS 6.0 (reading and writing must be at 6.0); or
3. A pass in English Language paper at GCE Ordinary Level
4. TOEFL 65
5. Equivalent (Pearson Versant English Test). Students can attend Pearson Online English (POE) to brush up on English.
|(Non-refundable one-time application fee of SGD 95.00 is payable upon application)|
|Course Fee||SGD 1,500.00 per module|
|Marking Fee||SGD 50.00 per module|
|Total||SGD 1,550.00 per module|
|Payment mode||Stripe / Credit card / Alipay|
|Refund Terms for Course Fee only|
90% – more than 28 days before course commencement
50% – less than 28 days before course commencement
10% – less than 3 days before course commencement
0% – more than 3 days after the course commencement