Membership Qualifying Program: Credentialed Special Needs Educational Therapist (ONLINE)
This 1-year course aims to qualify any candidate who has passed all the program’s requirements of International Association of Counselors & Therapists (IACT) and be admitted as a licensed & practising educational therapist at credentialed membership level. We may understand that traditional teaching deals specifically with academics. An educational therapist understands both the academics and the processing of information. A child with learning differences may find it challenging to learn in normal settings as s/he may process information in a unique way arising from various disabilities and disorders including emotional, cognitive, neurological and physical. An educational therapist is required to understand all the learning challenges faced by the child through a comprehensive diagnostic assessment and offers a wide range of individualised intensive interventions or therapy procedures, unique to the specific child, to treat these challenges. An educational therapist may have different professional backgrounds such as special education, psychology, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and counseling etc.
IACT is a prestigious professional body based in the USA that admit members who have fulfilled the rigorous requirements of the professional qualification programs to obtain practising memberships as counselors and therapists. The membership with IACT is a mark of high standard and excellence. Practising members are not only knowledgeable and bound by ethical standards, but are also highly respected as well. They are eligible to work in many countries such as North American, Asian and European countries etc.
The three level of IACT’s membership are Credentialed, Registered and Board Certified. A Board Certified member holds the highest status of the membership.
As a requirement of IACT, all coursework, assignments and essays of a candidate must be supervised and verified by an approved instructor of IACT. All works of the candidate are required to be submitted by the instructor to the IACT’s Assessment Board based in the USA for final assessment. A candidate must complete all 5 modules and fulfill the program’s requirements before being awarded practising membership. Only upon completion of the Credentialed level modules, will the candidate be allowed to proceed to the Registered level modules.
Merlion Academy is authorised to supervise and verify candidate’ work seeking to gain admission as an IACT member. The candidate will also be supported by the Singapore and Malaysia IACT-chapters.
The modules are:
- Module 1: From Pedagogy to Techno-Psychogogy
- Module 2: Lifespan Human Development (From Birth to Late Adolescence)
- Module 3: Nosology of Disabilities & Disorders
- Module 4: Psychoeducational Assessment
- Module 5: Treatment Planning in Educational Therapy (with Case Studies)
* Module exemptions will be granted based on individual’s merits and to the graduate of relevant diploma accredited by International Association of Therapists.
1. Assessment is based on coursework, assignments and essays.
2. Guided learning hours to fulfil: 30 hours per module (150 hours in total).
3. Non-guided learning hours (reading time and journal papers writing for publishing): 30 hours per module (150 hours in total).
21 years and above
Diploma graduate in special education, psychoeducational therapy, speech & language therapy, occupational therapy or psychology.
1. Pearson Test of English (PTE) 53; or
2. IELTS 6.0 (reading and writing must be at 6.0); or
3. A pass in English Language paper at GCE Ordinary Level
4. TOEFL 65
5. Equivalent (Pearson Versant English Test). Students can attend Pearson Online English (POE) to brush up on English.
|(Non-refundable one-time application fee of SGD 95.00 is payable upon application)|
|Course Fee||SGD 1,500.00 per module|
|Marking Fee||SGD 50.00 per module|
|Total||SGD 1,550.00 per module|
|Payment mode||Stripe / Credit card / Alipay|
|Refund Terms for Course Fee only|
90% – more than 28 days before course commencement
50% – less than 28 days before course commencement
10% – less than 3 days before course commencement
0% – more than 3 days after the course commencement