Practising License Program: Mental Health Counselor (BLENDED)
This program aims to qualify any candidate who has passed all the program’s requirements of International Association of Counselors & Therapists (IACT) and be admitted as a licensed & practising mental health counselor. The program is appropriate for interested candidates who wish to practise as a counselor by developing counseling skills and knowledge for application in their work areas such as in health, social services, educational, customer service, human resource and supervisory work settings. The candidate will learn about the strategies to maintain or sustain one’s mental health wellness (MHW) in good balance. In addition, MHW depends on factors, like self- acceptance, autonomy, quality of relationships, capacity for personal growth, and overall life satisfaction. Among other problems, stress, depression and anxiety (SAD) can also affect one’s immune system. The candidate will learn how to administer the Big Five Inventory (BFI) and how to interpret the scores. The candidate will journey through the process of counselling which begins with exploring the challenges a client faces before assisting them in resolving developmental and situational difficulties. When successful, treatment can change how a client thinks, feels, and behaves regarding an upsetting experience or situation.
IACT is a prestigious professional body based in the USA that admit any member who have fulfilled the rigorous requirements of the practising license programs to obtain practising membership as a counselor or a therapist. The membership with IACT is a mark of high standard and excellence. Practising members are not only knowledgeable and bound by high ethical standards, but are also highly respected as well. They are eligible to work in many countries such as North American, Asian and European countries etc.
As a requirement of IACT, all coursework must
Merlion Academy is
The 5 modules at the credentialed tier are:
- Module 1: Human Lifespan Development
- Module 2: Mental Health & Wellness
- Module 3: Stress, Anxiety & Depression
- Module 4: Theories of Counseling & Its Process
- Module 5: Counseling Case Studies
* Module exemptions will be granted based on individual’s merits and to the graduate of relevant diploma accredited by International Association of Therapists.
1. Assessment is based on coursework, assignments and essays.
2. Guided learning hours to fulfill: 180 hours in total.
3. Non-guided learning hours (reading time and journal papers writing for publishing): 150 hours (expected)
4. Supervised practicum: 100 hours with 10 hours clinical supervision
21 years and above
A bachelor’s degree or licentiate qualification in
i. special education, education, psychoeducational therapy, speech & language therapy, occupational therapy, counseling or psychology; or
ii. any discipline with post graduate diploma in teaching.
1. Pearson Test of English (PTE) 53; or
2. IELTS 6.0 (reading and writing must be at 6.0); or
3. A pass in English Language paper at GCE Ordinary Level
4. TOEFL 65
5. Equivalent (such as Pearson Versant English Test).
(Non-refundable one-time application fee of SGD 95.00 is payable upon application)
SGD 1,500.00 per module
SGD 50.00 per module
Stripe / Credit card / Alipay
90% – more than 28 days before course commencement
50% – less than 28 days before course commencement
10% – less than 3 days before course commencement
0% – more than 3 days after the course commencement