Practising License Program: Reading Therapist (BLENDED)
This program aims to qualify any candidate who has passed all the program’s requirements of International Association of Counselors & Therapists (IACT) and be admitted as a licensed & practising reading therapist. A reading therapist is expected to understand about literacy and language difficulties, disabilities and disorders faced by the children and their different challenges in reading, comprehension, writing and spelling processes. The processes include phonological (from letters and words to sentences), morphological (from phrases and clauses to sentences), semantic (from affixes and root words to discourse) and syntactic (grammar, text types and genres) processing and skills. The candidate will also be practising about the using different tools and protocols for screening, informal & standardised assessment, evaluation and profiling of children with language difficulties together with intervention planning and procedures.
IACT is a prestigious professional body based in the USA that admit any member who have fulfilled the rigorous requirements of the practising license programs to obtain practising membership as a counselor or a therapist. The membership with IACT is a mark of high standard and excellence. Practising members are not only knowledgeable and bound by high ethical standards, but are also highly respected as well. They are eligible to work in many countries such as North American, Asian and European countries etc.
As a requirement of IACT, all coursework must
Merlion Academy is
The 5 modules at the credentialed (therapist) tier are:
- Module 1: Literacy as Process and Product
- Module 2: Literacy and Language Difficulties, Disabilities and Disorders
- Module 3: Screening and Assessment for Literacy and Language Difficulties, Disabilities and Disorders
- Module 4: Literacy and Language Contents and Skills
- Module 5: Intervention (focus more on literacy and language issues)
Case Study Presentation Symposium
Trainee will be provided a detailed case study to prepare for his/her oral defense basing on all the five series he/she has acquired from the program.
* Module exemptions will be granted based on individual’s merits and to the graduate of relevant diploma accredited by International Association of Therapists.
1. Assessment is based on coursework, assignments and essays.
2. Guided learning hours to fulfil: 30 hours per module (150 hours in total).
3. Non-guided learning hours (reading time and journal papers writing for publishing): 30 hours per module (150 hours in total).
21 years and above
A bachelor’s degree in
i. special education, education, psychoeducational therapy, speech & language therapy, occupational therapy, counseling or psychology; or
ii. any discipline with post graduate diploma in teaching.
1. Pearson Test of English (PTE) 53; or
2. IELTS 6.0 (reading and writing must be at 6.0); or
3. A pass in English Language paper at GCE Ordinary Level
4. TOEFL 65
5. Equivalent (such as Pearson Versant English Test).
(Non-refundable one-time application fee of SGD 95.00 is payable upon application)
SGD 1,500.00 per module
SGD 50.00 per module
Stripe / Credit card / Alipay
90% – more than 28 days before course commencement
50% – less than 28 days before course commencement
10% – less than 3 days before course commencement
0% – more than 3 days after the course commencement